Thursday, April 10, 2008

The book meme

Earlier this week, the 'grate' Jeter Harris tagged me for the book meme. Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open the bok to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag some people (or cats) and post a comment to Empress once you've posted the meme.

Now, before I post the info, I have to warn you that Kate usually helps me with my blogging from her work computer. The books near her computer are pretty bo-ring! (But can you see the photo of me that she keeps on the bottom right corner of her monitor? Nice!)

See? Her nearest book was the Style manual for authors, editors and printers (John Wiley and Sons, 2002). Here is the fifth sentence on p.123, and the following three sentences:

In contrast, when the name of the organisation or body is abbreviated but retains some specific elements, keep the capitals:
the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs ... a matter for Immigration ... the department
the Reserve Bank of Australia ... the Reserve Bank ... the bank
the National Press Club ... the Press Club ... the club

I kinda cheated, because there's an argument for saying that they are all part of the first sentence, but I think I've done everyone a favour by counting the three examples as sentences in their own right.

Like I said, bo-ring!!

This meme has been doing the rounds for a while, so consider this an open tag to anycat who hasn't done it yet and wants to give it a go (warning: make sure that your bean has an interesting book near the computer before you commit to this meme!).

Cheers,
--Pabs

10 comments:

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I hope your weekend won't be boring, at least you will have great sleep, ok?

Anonymous said...

Well, at least your photograph isn't boring!

Daisy said...

Pablo, we have been tagged for this meme a few times but my Mommie has not done it herself, yet. She has seen that most people write about their very intellectual sounding books. My Mommie is more of a "Stephen King" sort of reader herself. So we are too embarrassed to do it!

SophieKitty said...

I think my mommie has the same book! Have a good weekend, Pabs.

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Can't be more boring than what I have. I was tagged for this meme and the nearest book was "The Southern Caucasus in Prehistory". On p123 was a whole lot of crudy broken ceramic sherds with swiggly lines. Sheesh! Needless to say I couldn't do that meme. Don't even ask me what the next nearest book was.....it just got worse and worse.

Parker said...

I love your yawny face!

Mr. Hendrix said...

i'm glad she has your picture there to make her desk more exciting. i haven't been officially tagged yet so i'll consider myself tagged now!

The Cat Realm said...

Please be so kind to come by our blog, there is a party invitation and an award for you!
Karl

Anonymous said...

Well, I can see how boring that is. I hope your human does not fall asleep at work...

Joey said...

Oh my goodness, that WAS boring. I almost fell asleep reading it. I will find something much for EXCITING to do this meme with.