11 hours ago
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
And finally... the quiz!
Sorry it's taken me longer than planned to post this quiz... you can thank Nick for once again hogging the computer and Kate for being 'too busy' and 'too tired' to help me post in those rare moments when the computer was free. Anyway, here is the quiz for my AWESOME Footy Finals Fever competition. Footy is the nickname for Australian Rules Football, in case anycat didn't know. And with the Australian Football League finals coming up in just a few weeks, I thought it was time that everycat learned a bit about my favourite game. But it's meant to be fun, too, so there's some creative elements thrown in there, too. And a few hints along the way (you can get some more help from Google, Wikipedia and the AFL website) . Here are the questions... one for every team in the AFL:
1. How many teams play in the AFL competition?
2. Before 1990, the AFL had a different name. What was it?
3. How many teams have cat-related nicknames?
4. Name at least three Australian cities which have teams in the AFL.
5. Although there is no team from my home state of Tasmania in the AFL, Tasmania has produced many great VFL/AFL players, past and present. Name at least three of them, and the teams that they played for.
6. Which Victorian-based team currently plays some of its home games in Tasmania each year? Where are these games played?
7. Which Geelong Cats player changed his name by deed poll to Whiskas as part of a sponsorship deal with the cat food brand in 1998?
8. It's been a long time between premierships for the Geelong Cats. When did they last win the premiership?
9. In AFL terminology, what is a mark? a wooden spoon? a behind?
10. At which ground is the AFL Grand Final (think Superbowl) played each year?
11. Guess what? A number of AFL players have gone on to have careers as punters in the NFL in the States. Name at least two of them (bonus points if you can name the AFL/NFL teams they have played for).
12. Which team's song is sung to the tune of 'Yankee doodle dandy'? Which team's song is 'When the saints go marching in?'
13. Which team/s have won the most premierships in VFL/AFL history?
14. Now that you've found out a bit about the AFL, which is your favourite team? Why?
15. Imagine you are in charge of a new AFL team. What is your name? What are your colours? What are the words of your club song?
16. Based on everything you've found out about Aussie Rules, what skills do cats have that would make them awesome AFL players?
When you're done, please email your answers to kobiekat[AT]hotmail[dot]com
Good luck, everycat! The eight best entries (as judged my me, Nick and Kate) will be assigned an AFL team for the finals series. In the event of any ties for placings, the earliest entry will be awarded the higher placing. The two entrants whose teams make the Grand Final will win prizes, and the entrant whose team wins the premiership will win a great prize pack (see my last post for details. To give you all a chance to complete the quiz, entries will be accepted until midnight (my time) on Sunday 26 August. Again, I reserve the right to change any of these rules as I see fit. Let me know if you have any questions.